Saturday, September 14, 2013

Lessons on Bourbon by CigarManDan

                                   
A Humble Cigar Man's Lesson in Bourbon:


Talk about just plain weird.  I drained my defacto standard Makers Mark stock and stopped by the local liquor peddler out by New Smyrna Beach earlier today and picked the Venti Jim Beam Black Aged 8 years. 

This evening in position Poolside Humidor 1, I am listening to the Cigar Dave weekly show. He is reviewing Kentucky Bourbon in honor of the Kentucky Bourbon Festival taking place there next week and he chooses the Jim Beam Black 8 to review of 3 different types. Coinkydink?  I say Yes.  


But it gets odder yet, more later.  

Here are some interesting facts about Bourbon I learned.  

1. By a 1964 Act of Congress:
  •   Its America's only native Spirit
  •   Has to be primarily corn
  •   Has to be distilled at no more than 125 proof
  •   Has to be stored in a new oak barrel
  •   Has 2 be stored for a minimum of 2 years in Kentucky
  •   There are several more...
2. Here is a general rule on KY Bourbon:
        The darker the hue, the more complex the flavor

3. How to drink Bourbon:
  •     Review the color, swirl in glass
  •     Smell with lips open to absorb less alcohol Pre-taste
  •     Sip past lips, let flow to rear of palate 
  •     Do the Kentucky Chew, roll around your mouth and swallow
  •     Gauge the burn factor as it makes its way to the breadbasket
  •      Note any aftertaste and evaluate for flavor and overall experience
Ok, now where it gets really odd.  
Cigar Dave aka. "The General" (and a Cigar Hero of mine) pairs this fine aged bourbon with a Villa Dominicana Cigar.  These cigars generally have a mild textured blend using medium quality Dominican & Nicaraguan filler.  Mine had a Mexican Sumatra binder in an Equadorian wrapper.  A is a very pedestrian cigar at best, often bundled at a very affordable price.  So to compare the cigar I had lit, to the one that The General had picked as a match to this bourbon, I look down at the label because I don't remember what I had pulled from my Humidor, and I could believe I had grabbed the exact same cigar!!   Of all the cigar types in the world, I pick the same one.  Well, great minds The General and I, hehe..  Plain weird right?

Oh well, enjoy this fine combination of Bourbon and Cigar if you get a chance.  It's a nice match.  Till next week, keep em long and lit.

No comments:

Post a Comment