Saturday, December 21, 2013

Tampa Cigar Festival 2013… Unleashed!!   by CigarManDan – 12/21/2013

                                                   

In December 2008, at the very start of the great Financial Collapse, I was faced with the reality of being laid off from a healthy 6-figure salary in a midtown skyscraper in Rockefeller Center, New York City.  This was explained to me at the time as “downsizing”, but we now see it as the eradication of mid-level management based simply on salary levels.  Basically, management of my 126-year old construction company, then the largest privately held construction management company in the world, chose to put 150 Vice Presidents to work for a living in order to protect their golden salary and bonus system.  Ah, bygones.  I am in a much better place now.
The biggest disappointments weren't even close to being financial for me.  Gone was Central Park’s Poets Walk in springtime, the wonderful Dim-Sum houses of Chinatown, the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station for Happy Hour martini’s, followed by a visit to Cipriani’s directly across the way for dinner.  Bye-bye to LeBar Bat on West 57th, Monkey Bar, and the Iron District.  So-long to Chelsea Piers, and of course my beloved 330 section of Madison Square Garden for so many Rangers home games.  No need for me to even mention the women, right?  Seriously, unless you’re from New York, or have been there during the spring season, how can one begin to explain the concept of Model and Fashion week?  One week each year where thousands of beautiful fashion models invade the City with no idea where they are going, bra sizes that far outscore their IQ levels, all in need of personal guides since telling them “Take the F train to Bryant Park” is like asking them to chart a course to the International Space Station.  Maybe those “Talent Scout” business cards that I had printed helped a bit too, I dunno.  

As I have mentioned before within this very Cigar space, in moving to the Retirement Capital of the world known as Central Florida, and finding the doorway to Cigar Import & Sales for all of North America right here in Tampa; well it emerged as a golden “silver lining” to my relocation from civilization.  It yanked me right in, and proved a welcome distraction from all that I so badly missed, especially those Ranger games!! One sec while I compose myself… … ok, I’m good.  Where, uh.. right, Tampa. 

Well, one of the amazing things that I loved here was the abundantly stocked Cigar stores, chocked full of fresh, flavorful, and amazing product inventory.  The Cigar establishment was so knowledgeable too, a friendly bunch of old souls that were more than willing to offer insights to a transplanted Yankee with so many dumb questions.  I was sucking in the information like a cribbed toddler opening their first E-Trade account on an iPad!  Needless to say, they kept bringing up the Annual Tampa Cigar Festival, a must attend event for the aficionado in training.  I had planned on attending for the last 2-years but timing and business travel kept getting in the way.  I swore that this year was going to be different, and it was.

I was sure to get my hands on two VIP tickets to the Cigar Dave Show event and counted the days while watching it selling out only days after ticket sales opened.  Shortly, I would see why.   I counted the days and was happy to see that it would coordinate nicely with my Brother-in-Law’s visit to Florida for Thanksgiving.  He arrived the Friday night before Thanksgiving, we sent the girls on a spa-day, loaded his Dodge Charger Rental car, and off we went. 

A 3ft Wide Pot of Hot Paella Yummo!
Upon arrival, a series of very friendly young ladies welcomed us, and provided us with our VIP packages, made up of badges, gift items, and 7 premium cigars.  We then headed to the VIP Tent and the set of the Cigar Dave show.  It was easy to find, we followed our ears to the fenced off VIP area where the Cigar Dave Brass Band was belting out smooth jazz tunes.  Upon providing our credentials, we entered the tent and headed directly for the grub.  Man did it look good.  I am not talking your average BBQ type fare here; I am talking fine Caribbean-Spanish delicacies like Chilean Sea bass, stuffed Citrus chicken, Spanish Paella Rice, and dirty roasted potatoes.  From there, we migrated to one of two open bars under the tent for locally brewed tap beers which went down all too easily in the 85 degree outdoor seating.  I was so impressed with what Cigar Dave and the Festival had put together, and we hadn’t even sparked my first fine Cigar yet!!

One very satisfying side effect was sitting at a table with a Boston Red Sox fan named Dale, who was sporting a genuine Sox Jersey, and his lovely lady.  This severely irritated my Yankee loving Bro-in-Law who that very morning stumbled out of his bed wearing a Yankee tee, pinstripe jammies, and Yank slippers.  I mean really, you can’t make this stuff up!

Outdoor Set of the Cigar Dave Radio Show
After eating quickly and before the General’s Radio show started, we went out to visit the Cigar Manufacturer and vendor tents outside in the park.  Every major and small name in the industry was represented all with fantastic cigars and accessories at heavily discounted event prices.  I picked up a Jetline 4-Burner lighter and Xikar Xi2 double malachite cutters for about 40% off the retail prices.  This will be a nice Beach set that I can use as the warm spring weather returns along with my currently faded tan.


The Cigar Dave Show Orchestra
Back at the VIP tent, we watched Cigar Dave interview virtually every big name in the industry.  The H. Upman company, the Fuente family, and the Padron group were all on the show.  They discussed their classic offerings, new directions and plans, and upcoming products.  We were finally able to light up one of the premium cigars and talked to other Cigar enthusiasts about their favorite stand-bys, likes, and experiences.  Even Mr. Yankee and the Boston World Series Champion were enjoying conversation together.  Amazing what good Cigars and booze can do huh?

We watched the General’s Cigar Lieutenant’s Deep Fry an entire Turkey in 45 minutes during the show.  Had an opportunity to meet Dave’s Cigar Dog Sultan, and even heard from the organization that training Sultan that Is now authorized by the Government to product companion pets for returning Soldiers with PTSD.  They even presented a soldier that is currently suffering with a dog at a cost of $42,000. I couldn’t leave the show without thanking the Soldier for his service and wishing him well on his recovery.  I will be sure to check on him throughout the year.

Festival View from the VIP Area
                                                                                                             
A Jam-Packed VIP Tent
This was a fantastic day.  What an amazing experience.  It had everything, Cigar knowledge and discussion, great smokes, good people, top shelf booze and cold beer, outstanding food, great music, gorgeous women, and good new friends.  I haven’t enjoyed myself like that in quite some time and was able to make some new contacts in the industry for this budding Cigar blog.  I want to thank the City of Tampa, the officials for the Festival, the Columbia restaurant, the Manufacturers and Vendors, and all of my fellow Cigar lovers for such a great experience.  I can’t wait for the 2014 Cigar Festival in downtown Tampa!

No comments:

Post a Comment